Monday, October 13, 2008

Restaurant Pick: Healthy, Delicious and Raw in the OC

Every couple of months or so, an errand takes me into Orange County. It’s a trek, so I break up the drive with a stop at my favorite raw vegan restaurant: the magnificent Au Lac. I make excuses to head there now, because it’s impossible to find food like this anywhere else.

There's an ongoing rumor about Au Lac's Chef Ito, that he hasn’t spoken in 10 years. I can’t confirm this because every time I ask, he smiles and walks away. The staff tells me Ito puts all of his energy into creating the food – which feels like two restaurants in one. With raw selections, and an almost vegan traditional Vietnamese menu, the choices are endless.

If you choose raw, bring your wallet and don't be in a rush. Au Lac provides organic, raw, high quality, meticulously prepared food. It takes a bit of time, so enjoy slowing down and order a beer, or the healthy favorite Kombucha – a Chinese fermented, effervescent tea.

If you’re starving, order from the vegan menu which can arrive on your table within minutes. But if you’re patient and dedicated to raw, try the Raw Hand Roll. It’s a simple mix of avocado, pistachio meat, original sauce and spices wrapped in nori. It sounds overly simple, but it's incredibly memorable.

I always go for the raw Curried Rice. They use a soaked natural rice filled with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green olives, mushrooms and avocados with just a little bit of heat. You can’t go wrong with the “Taco,” which has crispy cabbage on the outside, a “cream” sauce made of pistachios, and added mushrooms, dill pickles, avocado, red bell pepper and coconut meat. Everyone recommended it, and I’m glad I listened because the combination of these ingredients makes for a hearty, filling, flavorful and healthy take on a Mexican dish.

My buddy insisted I try the Choconut Xtasy (pictured), even though I was stuffed thanks to their massive portions. But I ate the whole thing.


Anyone going to Orange County soon? We can use the carpool lane...


www.aulac.com
16563 Brookhurst St, Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Closed Mondays



Read my 2005 summer-long journey into the raw world.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks ! for giving us very important information that live healthy life we all had to eat healthy food.

Anonymous said...

come and see http://www.recipesfriend.com/

Medical Billing Software said...

Healthy food is the key to a good life...raw food is all very good as it keeps the body light and makes digestion easy.Also saves time from cooking stuff.

los angeles secondary rhinoplasty said...

Raw food is much ind demand it is the new age style or fashion trend to keep up with a healthy lifestyle.But be careful to choose the raw foods...they should be ideally organic.

Chef Jay said...

I love the way the food is present, delightful and very creative. For barbecue rib recipes , feel free to visit my site. Happy New Year!:)

james hansen said...

Its really inspiring to take on new ideas especially raw food. And i would love to try it someday.

philippines catering said...

Good food brings people together. Finger food is best suited for all occasions, it is light and people love eating it.

zonia

Anonymous said...

This really looks yummy. It is one of the healthy food products that I love. I also like raw superfoods right now.