Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Grilled "Cheese" & "Bacon"

I lied to my friend.

I said we were having grilled "cheese" and "bacon" sandwiches for lunch. She eyed me suspiciously, but said yes. She knows that I don’t keep items like these in my house, but hunger can make your memory and common sense take a temporary lapse.

My husband invented this recipe on a cold night that required comfort food. She ate it, and while I’m not sure she’s fully convinced that being a vegetarian is the way to go...she still asked for a second one.

And while this isn’t the healthiest recipe, but compared to its meat/cheese cousin...the fat content is significantly lower, cholesterol free, and the tasty factor is HIGH.

Grilled Soy Cheese & Facon Sandwich
2 pieces Ezekiel Bread
Trader Joe’s Margarine Spread
2 slices Trader Joe’s Sliced Soy Cheese Alternative (Cheddar Flavor)
2 pieces Morning Star Farms “Bacon” Strips

Use a non-stick pan. Microwave slices of “bacon” for two minutes. Place margarine spread on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice of bread face down, add a slice of “cheese.” Layer “bacon” over the “cheese.” Place other “cheese” slice and other slice of bread (margarine side up) to complete sandwich construction. Cook over medium heat until bread is light brown and cheese is melted.

2 comments:

It's Rico! said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I'm definately going to try it!!! Infact i may even experiment with some Tofurkey products, and Boca sausage as well... Great Idea

Anonymous said...

Well said.